One of the most beneficial things you can do for your body is to stretch. What better way to start your day than with some morning stretches that will last longer than the day? Stretching has a lot of health benefits including better posture, stress release, prevention of injury, enhanced flexibility and muscle strength. Stretching can relieve tightness in your muscles while improving blood flow.
Making morning stretches a part of your routine is a great way to start the day. These morning stretches can help you get rid of any aches and pains you may have when you wake up. Because the body rests horizontally overnight, there is an accumulation of fluid in the joints and spinal discs, which causes pain and stiffness in the morning. Stretching first thing in the morning will effectively eliminate this fluid and boost blood flow. As a result, you will receive long-lasting energy to get you through the day.
Hence, add morning stretches to your daily routine to make a positive difference in your life.
Here are the stretches to do every morning
1. Upward Stretch
This is done by raising your arms to the sky to greet the morning; it’s a terrific method to get your blood flowing and your body awake.
- Stand next to your bed or sit on the mat.
- Raise your hands above your head, palms facing upward, and lace your fingers together.
- Feel the strain in your ribcage and arms as you extend your spine.
- Hold for a total of 10 seconds.
2. Door Stretch
This stretch opens the front of your chest while relaxing the muscles at the back of the torso.
- Place your arms on the door jam while standing in a doorway and step forward through the doorway.
- Your upper arms should be parallel to the ground, and your forearms should be positioned parallel to the door frame.
- Bend your front knee to the point where you feel a stretch in the front of your chest and shoulders.
- Retain for 30 seconds, then repeat 3 to 4 times more.
3. Standing Hamstring Stretch
This is a fantastic leg stretch that can also help reduce lower back pain.
- Place your left heel on a surface that is slightly lower than your hip (such as a chair, bed, or bench) and flexes your foot while standing straight.
- Bend forward at the hips and towards your flexed foot to get into the stretch.
- Hold for 30 seconds before switching.
4. Standing Quad Stretch
To stretch the quadriceps muscles at the front of your thighs, do the following:
- Stand up straight and grab a hold of something solid.
- With one hand, grip your ankle while bending one knee.
- Lift your leg for 20 seconds.
- Repeat 4 times.
5. Cat and Cow Pose
This relaxing pose strengthens your torso and neck while stretching the entire spine.
- Lay down on your hands and knees on the floor, preferably with an exercise mat for maximum comfort and support.
- Breathe in and arch your back upward like a stretching cat, with your head and tailbone towards the floor, with your palms directly under your shoulders and knees under your hips.
- Exhale as you change back to your starting position.
- Breath deeply in and extend your neck and upper spine upwards, tailbone pointing to the sky. Exhale and return to the normal position.
- Repeat 6 times.
You should now be fully stretched and prepared to begin your day.
Practising stretches might help you feel capable to face the day. Probably add a couple more in the morning or during the day. For instance, you can spin your ankles and wrists clockwise and counterclockwise while sitting or standing (but not when driving!) at work to avoid stiffness and boost your energy levels.
Share this content: